Colombian Spanish video course
What makes Colombia Spanish unique?Discover the key differences that make Colombian Spanish special.Find out more →
Where to learn Colombian Spanish ?Find the language school that's perfect for you.Find out more →
How to study Colombian Spanish ?Language exchanges, textbooks, online classes...what works best ?Find out more →
- Enrollment statusEnrollment now open
- PrerequisitesBasic beginners Spanish
- Course Preview
The Spanish that’ll win the locals over
To start understanding and speaking the Spanish that Colombians actually use in their everyday conversations, you'll need to look beyond just your Spanish textbook.
On this course, you'll learn hundreds of the most useful words, phrases and expressions commonly heard in Colombia, together with cultural and contextual explanations to allow you to understand when exactly to use them. We'll cover:
- Sparking up conversation, socializing and keeping awkward silences at bay.
- Going out with friends and chatting on social media.
- Dating and relationships with Colombians.
- Spicing up your speech with popular local sayings, curse words, funny expressions and jokes.
During the course, you’ll also learn from exclusive interviews and video contributions by teachers from Colombia’s top language schools in Bogota, Medellin, Cartagena and more.
- AndreaColombia Immersion
- AndresCentro Catalina
- EduardoCentro Catalina
- JesusNueva Lengua
- LuciaNueva Lengua
- MerlyColombia Immersion
- VioletSocial Spanish
Bonus materials to boost your learning
The 230-page Colombian Spanish eBook
The perfect companion to the video course, this eBook contains everything I've learnt from years of living in Colombia. It's ten chapters full of the Spanish really spoken there, including extensive notes and explanations to help you make sense of it all.
What customers say about the Colombian Spanish eBook
A goldmine of Colombian Spanish…genuinely designed to help you integrate more naturally as a 'gringo'
Fantastic for someone trying to take their Spanish fluency to the next level, and even better for someone hoping to practice Spanish in Colombia or with Colombians
A highly detailed and accurate look at Colombian Spanish...highly recommended for any travelers who want to seamlessly blend in with the locals.
If there was ever a perfect resource for Spanish language learners coming to Colombia, [the Colombian Spanish eBook] is it.
I highly recommend it. You’ll see immediate significant improvements in your ability to speak with native Colombians
I definitely recommend it to anyone who already has a solid base in Spanish and wants to customize their speaking to be truly Colombian.
Witty and interesting, it is a great tool...that will have you sounding less like a dubbed movie and more like a Colombian.
It is perfect for anyone who wants to understand the popular language in our country.
More than 850 printable flashcards
These ready-made flashcards will help you commit to memory all the new terms and phrases you’ll be learning throughout the course. Print them out at your convenience, or use our online flashcard learning environment with games, quizzes and sound files all built in.
Learn the Spanish your textbook didn't teach you
In six wide-ranging study modules, newly updated for 2018, you'll learn the essential Spanish that you’ll need when interacting with Colombians in a wide variety of common situations. After completing the course, you’ll be able to speak in a more natural and entertaining way, and participate much more easily in local conversations. As an added bonus, you’ll also gain a much better understanding of Colombian culture and society - hugely important for truly becoming fluent.
Get started now
Conversational Spanish for Colombia Full video courseWhat's included?
- Unlimited access to all the learning materials.
- 20+ exclusive video lessons.
- Personalized assignment feedback.
- The 230-page Colombian Spanish eBook.
- 850+ Colombian Spanish flashcards.
- Online flashcard learning environment.
- Interviews with Colombian teachers.
- Daily study tasks and exercises.
- Colombian Spanish resource library.
- Student-only Facebook group.
- Email and community support.
- Free updates when new lessons are added.
- I've never studied any Spanish before. Is this course for me?This course is aimed primarily at people who already know at least the basics of Spanish and works best as a complement to traditional learning resources, such as textbooks, language apps and/or classes. We won't cover Spanish grammar in any depth here, so if you know literally no Spanish then you're probably not quite ready to enroll. That said, detailed explanations and translations of all the terms covered in the course are provided, so you need not know much of the language to benefit from the material. And with unlimited access to all the videos, exercises, interviews and quizzes in the course, you'll be able to keep revisiting the content to gain a better understanding of the language's nuances as your Spanish continues to improve.
- Why should I learn Spanish from a foreigner? Wouldn’t a native speaker be able to teach me better?Local teachers are often fantastic, and that's why I've drafted in a whole bunch to help explain many of the terms in this course. Oddly enough, though, native speakers are at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to creating a course of this kind -- which aims to bridge the gap between the Spanish taught in the classroom and the sort you’ll actually need when talking to Colombians. A foreigner, who has already battled his way through to Spanish fluency in Colombia, is probably better placed to advise others on how to do the same. Between the Colombians' contributions and my own, my aim is to give you the best of both worlds. That is, exposure to the local accent and native speech on the one hand and, on the other, guidance from a foreigner about what parts of the language are most useful and the most likely to get a positive reaction from the locals.
- Is this just a course on Colombian slang?We cover plenty of slang, but the scope of this course is much wider than that. You'll learn many other aspects of becoming conversational in Spanish (such as idioms for socialising, conversation filler words, sentence starters and other language tricks) which are as applicable to the Spanish spoken both within and beyond Colombia's borders. By the end of the course, you’ll be speaking more natural Spanish in general – be that in Colombia or anywhere else in the Spanish speaking world
- Is ‘Colombian Spanish’ really that different from standard Spanish?Colombia’s version of Spanish is, of course, not a separate language from that spoken elsewhere in Latin American and Europe. However, it does contain a good deal of local variations and quirks that you'll absolutely need to understand if you want to gain access into the inner circle of Colombian friendship groups.
- What if I am unhappy with the course?I believe that any Spanish learner who plans on having more than a fleeting interaction with Colombians should sign up for the course as there’s loads of great stuff in here that will definitely make your conversations much more enjoyable. But if, for whatever reason, you later find that the course is not right for you, then never fear. Just write to me within 30 days of your purchase and I’ll give you a full refund right there and then.
- When does the course start and finish?When you sign up, you’ll gain immediate access to all the course materials, which you can access for as long as you like. During the first six weeks of the course, you’ll receive daily study tasks to complete. You can choose to follow the six-week course schedule or, if you prefer, work through the content entirely at your own pace. It’s totally up to you.